Thursday, February 23, 2006

Chuckle 962

Chuckle 962
(Short chuckle thanks go to Dean O of Florence OR,
Phyllis S of Pasadena CA and Rich W of Scotts Valley CA)


~Short Chuckles~
(Plus: Today in History, Word for the Day and 6 Differences)

~What a coincidence ~ (From Dean)

A man sat at a local bar and said, "This is a special day, I'm celebrating."

"What a coincidence," said the woman next to him. "I'm celebrating, too" she replied, clinking glasses with him.

"What are you celebrating?"

"I'm a chicken farmer and for years all my hens were infertile, but today they're finally fertile."

"What a coincidence," the woman said, "for my husband and I have been trying to have a child". Today, my gynecologist told me I'm pregnant! How did your chickens become fertile?" she asked.

"I switched roosters," he replied.

"What a coincidence," she said. ***
______________________________________________________

~Just Love Those Nuns~ (From Phyllis)

Mother Superior called all the Nuns together one evening and said to them: "I must tell you all something. We have a case of Gonorrhea in the convent."

"Thank God," said an elderly Nun at the back. "I'm so sick of Chardonnay." ***
_______________________________________________________


~Church Service~ (From Rich)

An elderly couple was attending church services, about halfway through she leans over and says, “I just had a silent fart what do you think I should do?" He replies “Put a new battery in your hearing aid." ***
_______________________________________________________

Click Today in History and learn.

Today in history

_______________________________________________________

Word of the Day for Thursday February 23, 2006

alacrity \uh-LACK-ruh-tee\, noun:A cheerful or eager readiness or willingness, often manifested by brisk, lively action or promptness in response.

As for his homemade meatloaf sandwich with green tomato ketchup, a condiment he developed while working in New York, I devoured it with an alacrity unbecoming in someone who gets paid to taste carefully.-- R.W. Apple Jr., "Southern Tastes, Worldly Memories," New York Times, April 26, 2000

Arranged in long ranks, ten-, twelve-, or thirteen-year-old girls, pale and hollow-eyed, their pinned-back hair sprouting tendrils limp with perspiration, operated the machinery with such alacrity that arms and hands were a flying blur.-- Patricia Albers, Shadows, Fire, Snow: The Life of Tina Modotti

So, I am sure that I was thrilled when I got the letter offering me the fellowship and equally sure that I wrote back to accept with alacrity.-- Joan L. Richards, Angles of Reflection
Never was a sinking ship abandoned with such alacrity and unanimity, never was an experiment condemned so conclusively.-- Ernest Gellner, The End of Utopia by Russell Jacoby
_____________________________________________________________

Find the 6 differences, answers below.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home