Sunday, July 23, 2006

Chuckle 1111




Chuckle 1111 (Hey, this is a palindrome)
(Today's chuckle thanks go to Joyce K of Queen Creek AZ!)


~Public Service~ (2nd time around)
(Plus: Today in History, Word for the Day and 6 Differences.)

At one time in my life, I thought I had a handle on the meaning of
the word "service." "It's the act of doing things for other people."
Then I heard these terms which reference the word SERVICE:

Internal Revenue Service

Postal Service

Telephone Service

Civil Service

City & County Public Service

Customer Service

Service Stations

Then I became confused about the word "service." This is not what I thought "service" meant. So today, I overheard two farmers talking, and one of them said he had hired a bull to "service" a few of his cows. BAM! It all came into perspective. Now I understand what all those "service" agencies are doing to us. I hope you now are as enlightened as I am. ***

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm
___________________________________________________
(Click Today in History and learn.)

Today in history
___________________________________________________
Word of the Day for Sunday July 23, 2006

mordant \MOR-d'nt\, adjective:Biting; caustic; sarcastic.
Mr. Justice Moorcroft's forte, a part which he had played for so many years that it had become instinctive, was a courteous reasonableness occasionally enlivened with shafts of mordant wit.-- P. D. James, A Certain Justice

I moved from one knot of people to another, surrounded by a kind of envious respect because of Sophie's interest in me, although subjected to a certain mordant raillery from some of this witty company.-- Peter Brooks, World Elsewhere

He had a mordant wit as well . . . , a bit wicked and waspish even.-- Janice A. Radway, A Feeling for Books
___________________________________________________
(Find the 6 differences, answers below)




1 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 

Post a Comment

<< Home