Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Chuckle 989

Chuckle 989
(Today's chuckle thanks go to Jack and Marge S of Florence OR!)

~Fun & Retirement ~ (2nd time around with a new twist.)
(Plus: Today in History and Word for the Day)

Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting.

Well for example, the other day I went into town and went into a shop. I was only in there for about 5 minutes, when I came out there was a cop writing out a parking ticket. I went up to him and said, "Come on man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?" He ignored me and continued writing the ticket. I called him a Nazi turd. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for worn tires. So I called him a S---head. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket. This went on for about 20 minutes. The more I abused! Him, the more tickets he wrote.

Personally, I didn't care. I came into town by bus.

I try to have a little fun each day now that I'm retired. It's important at my age. ***

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm

_______________________________________________________
(Click Today in History and learn.)

Today in history

_______________________________________________________
Word of the Day for Wednesday March 22, 2006

succor \SUH-kuhr\, noun:1. Aid; help; assistance; especially, assistance that relieves and delivers from difficulty, want, or distress.2. The person or thing that brings relief.
transitive verb:1. To help or relieve when in difficulty, want, or distress; to assist and deliver from suffering; to relieve.

In Asakusa, a crowd sought succor around an old and lovely Buddhist temple, dedicated to Kannon, goddess of mercy.-- Richard B. Frank, Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire

Ever since I was five, I have inserted myself into every movie I've seen and gratefully, humbly found succor there.-- Laurie Fox, My Sister from the Black Lagoon

There was some talk about the perils of the sea, and a landsman delivered himself of the customary nonsense about the poor mariner wandering in far oceans, tempest-tossed, pursued by dangers, every storm blast and thunderbolt in the home skies moving the friends by snug firesides to compassion for that poor mariner, and prayers for his succor.-- Mark Twain, "Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion," The Atlantic, November 1877

He honors the old, succors the infirm, raises the downtrodden, destroys fanaticism.-- Alan Jolis, Love and Terror
______________________________________________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home